Sunday, June 24, 2007

MINI & muffins

Hi. Sorry it's been so long. We picked up the new car on Thursday... I love it! I can't wait until I am practiced and confident enough in driving manual to drive it all the time :) Until then I am content to be a passenger most of the time.

Not too much news. I've was ok this past week but not super. This week things are much more stable and normal so I know I'll be able to do a lot better. I haven't felt much like cooking lately but I did make some muffins today:

They're based on these muffins (scroll down for recipe), but I adapted it somewhat to make it a bit healthier. They're definitely not perfect ETL but they work for me because I can eat one without feeling guilty and it also doesn't hurt my tummy like a full-fat/refined sugar & flour muffin would.

I think that the recipe needs a little tweaking (more applesauce, use ww pastry flour, add some orange zest...) but here it is:

Blueberry Almond Muffins
Yeilds 12 muffins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and combine in large bowl:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup all purpose flour
½ tsp salt (optional)
2 tsp baking powder

Stir 1½ cups frozen blueberries into the dry mix

In food processor combine:
1/3 cup apple sauce
2 bananas
½ cup dates (chop and soak dates for better blending)
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
2 Tbsp water

Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, spoon into lined muffin tins.

Crumb topping (combine with fork)(optional, but definitely include the almonds):
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp slivered almonds
2 Tbsp flour
¼ cup Earth Balance

Sprinkle crumb topping over muffins and bake for 25 minutes.