Friday, November 03, 2006

drink your veggies

Wednesday:
Breakfast: smoothie (blueberries, strawberries, banana, spinach, flax, water)
Lunch: wrap from HFS
Dinner: blended salad (romaine, 1/2 banana, pineapple & juice, water), handful of cashews

Exercise: 30 min walk with cammie, 30 min Yourself!Fitness, 30 min bike

Fuhrmometer: Lentil

Blended salads are good! I never thought they were something I could get into, and I still don't think I'll be able to enjoy blended salads without some fruit in them. But that's ok - because they don't have to be 100% veggies to be blended salads.

I think there is a lot of ambiguity about what is a green smoothie and what is a blended salad; and the definitions change from person to person... but here are mine:

Blended Salads have most of their main ingredients as leafy greens and other veggies with a smaller amount of fruit

and

[Green] Smoothies have fruit as the majority of its main ingredients and leafy greens and veggies are in the minority.

SO, my breakfast smoothie is 75% fruit and 25% spinach, so I think of it as a smoothie or a green smoothie. My lunch or dinner smoothie is at least 60% (working up to more) veggies so I think of it as a blended salad.

The romaine-pineapple-banana combo is nice, it has a nice green color and tastes kind of like melon to me. I did try adding cashews to the mix the other day but I don't think it was very good. Plus I like eating my serving of nuts; it's satisfying when I want something crunchy.

I am going to put some baby carrots into the smoothies to add more veggie power to it (haha) and I would also like to get some POM juice to add since I hear that it is very good for you. More on the evolution of my blended salad as it - evolves...