Sunday, October 29, 2006

Week 20 Results

Today:
Breakfast: (at Wendy's) side salad, baked potato with chives
Lunch: blended salad (romaine, pineapple, flax, 1/2 banana, ice cubes)
Dinner: Green Machine Soup, Banana-Pumpkin smoothie

Exercise: quick walk with Cammie, 30 min Yourself!Fitness, 30 min treadmill

Fuhrmometer Reading: Kale
Hey! I lost 2.6 pounds this week! My overall loss has passed the 65 lb mark - 70 pounds down here I come! I'm very pleased with this loss this week especially because last week I lost so much and was hoping I wouldn't rebound like a rubber band. I also had 2 days where lunch was less than ideal and also my "friend" was here for a visit (sorry if that's TMI but it is a factor sometimes).

Well anyway... today was prep day. I started out thinking I was going to make The Green Machine (original recipe can be found on Dr. F's member center) - kale, bok choy, broccoli rabe, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and mushrooms all sauteed together. Someone let me know that the recipe didn't reheat very well and since I cook once for the entire week I started thinking about how I could adapt the recipe to work for me. I decided to make it into soup and I also added lentils because I wanted to make sure that I get enough calories in to continue losing. Here's my adaptation of the recipe:

Green Machine Soup
4 cups low sodium veggie broth
1 large white onion, quartered
4-6 garlic cloves, crushed and roughly chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped or 1 15 oz can of no-salt added tomatoes
2 cups of mushrooms, chopped (I used baby bellas/cremini's)
8oz kale
8oz bok choy
8oz broccoli rabe
1 lb green lentils
1/2 bag frozen green beans
1/2 bag frozen broccoli or broccoli & cauliflower

1. Combine broth, onions, and garlic and tomatoes in a large pot. Add kale, broccoli rabe, and bok choy on top of the broth mixture. Cover with a lid and simmer until greens are wilted.
2. While broth and greens are simmering, cook lentils and portion out into 1 cup portions.
3. Blend wilted greens and broth until smooth, return to pot and add mushrooms, green beans, and broccoli. Simmer 15 - 20 minutes to cook mushrooms.
4. Ladle soup over lentils, eat or store for later in the week.


K.M. asked me to share my creamy salad dressing recipe. Right now it's more of a method rather than a recipe but I am working on something that is close to Ranch dressing - but it's not there yet, but when I get it I will post it. For creamy dressings that are ETL friendly, start off with equal amounts of raw cashews and plain unsweetened soy milk. From there - add what you like - spices, garlic, etc. Blend everything up in the blender and see what you like. In my experience savory dressings need some sort of acid in them - lemon juice, vinegar, so on - to make them "work".

On Dr. F's member center there is a recipe for Caesar Salad Dressing which was contributed by Casinera. The Caesar recipe is equal parts of raw cashews and soy milk combined with Dijon mustard, garlic, black pepper, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice. It is very good, try it!