Thursday, August 10, 2006

day 61: hiding in plain sight

Today's Food:
Breakfast/Lunch: smoothie
Pre-workout snack: dates & peanut butter
Dinner: garlicky spinach soup, 1/2 bowl of lentils

Exercise: 60 min treadmill, 15 min abs

Today was the second day in a row that I've had to drive an hour away to one of the other campuses of the college that I work for for meetings. Sometimes the meetings are worthwhile (like yesterday's) and sometimes they just aren't (like today). At any rate; it makes it hard to eat when you're on the run... in the car for an hour and then some, meeting for 2 hours or so, back in the car for another hour +. Any way it's scheduled; it's going to mean trying to eat in the car. I can't eat a salad while driving 70 miles per hour and putting up with trucks and idiots tailgating me or some nonsense.

My solution? Drink my smoothie in the car. It worked out pretty well (no catastrophies like the salad explosion from a few weeks ago when hubby was driving). Although today I could have used a little something extra because I got pre-t-t-y cranky from being hungry (and bored) when I was on my way home. I think I need to carry an ounce of nuts or something in my purse for such occasions. I know I've mentioned this before but it just reinforces the fact. Maybe this time I'll actually act on the idea.

The garlicky spinach soup doesn't really taste all that garlicky to me. It pretty much just tastes like spinach. I can't really taste the thyme either... the potato and the fact that it is blended does give it a nice thick consistency... but still, all I can really taste is the spinach. And what's the point of garlicky spinach soup if one can't taste the garlickiness? This is not a recipe that's at the top of my list to make again... but when I do I will tweak it some to amp up the flavor.

I took tomorrow as a vacation day, and I think I really need it! It's supposed to be rather cool here (upper 60's to lower 70's -- definitely cool for August) and would be a great day for a hike or a bike ride. I'm looking forward to it!