Tuesday, July 11, 2006

day 31: losing weight is hard!

Today's Food:
Breakfast: smoothie (without soy milk)
Lunch: romaine & Green Velour
Dinner: Enchilada Pie

Exercise: 36 min on treadmill

I'm blogging early today because I have plans after work and I also want to be able to get in a workout when I get home tonight. SOO... I was sitting here daydreaming and maybe possibly looking at clothing websites planning my future wardrobe and thinking, why can't I just lose all of the weight overnight and then deal with maintaining it? Don't we all wish we could just wake up in the morning and be who we really want to be? And then I had a little bit of a schizophrenic conversation with myself:

The Realistic me: "If you don't work toward what you really want, and if you're not making the changes from the inside-out; you won't appreciate the results and also won't have the commitment to making sure that the results are permanent."

Regular Me: "Yes, realistic me, you're right. But I'm still impatient!"

Pessimistic/ Low-Self Esteem Me: "Who's to say you'll even make it to your goal? You haven't weighed less than 200 lbs since middle school."

Regular Me: "Well I've never even tried. If I can effectively become vegetarian, if I can make it through Grad School, why can't I do this? Other people have lost as much weight as I want to; there's no reason why I can't be one of them! I'm just as smart and dedicated as they are."

Me (all of me's): "I can do this, but I have to be patient! Things take time for a reason; and it will be all that much sweeter when I reach my goal after X amount of time, hard work and dedication."

I suspect these are the normal trials and tribulations of losing weight. It's very clear why people say that it's important to set small or mini goals for yourself along the way so you don't get discouraged by just thinking about the overall goal. It surely is daunting to think about how much weight you want to lose altogether, especially when there are people out there that want/need to lose only a fraction of it to get to their goal weight. I guess in that sense losing weight is kind of like the way that my parents talk about golf, you're not playing against your friends or fellow golfers; you're playing against yourself.

I'm the one that is making the decision every day whether or not to eat on or off plan and I'm the one that's exercising my body and it's my body that is losing the weight. It really comes down to me and my sticking with it and getting over that pesky impatience. In the end my success will be just that, my success. I'm sure that others will feel a part of it, and they should; because it's support of my hubby and all of the other people whose advice and comments really keep me going! I doubt that I would have lasted this long if it weren't for all of your accountability!