Saturday, June 24, 2006

day 14: prep day

Today's Food:
Breakfast: banana-blueberry-strawberry smoothie with soy milk and flax
Lunch: black bean salad
Dinner: romaine with "green velour," apple

Excercise: rest day today

Today was cleaning and prep day in the kitchen. I spent a lot of time re-arranging cabinets, cleaning and cooking today. I made black bean salad (actually mine had black beans and red kidney beans), some more "green velour" dressing, and some curried veggies. The curry didn't make as much as I was hoping (only 3 portions) so I will have to make some more tomorrow.


Black Bean Salad

2 15 oz cans of black beans (no salt)
1 avocado
1 large red onion
1 pint grape tomatoes
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1 T vinegar
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper

- Drain and rinse beans, divide into 1 cup portions. (Using separate containers for each portion)

- In a medium bowl; combine lime juice, vinegar, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Pit and dice the avocado and add it to the bowl and toss with the sauce. Slice the grape tomatoes and add to the bowl. Dice the red onion and add to the bowl. Toss all of the fresh veggies together.

- Evenly distribute veggie mixture into the containers holding the beans. (I used my kitchen scale to make sure they are even).

- Mix the beans and the veggie mixture together.

This recipe yielded me 3 portions with an ETL exchange of 1 cup beans and 6-7 oz raw vegetables. I used Red Wine Vinegar and it gave it a very tangy taste. If I were to make this again I might leave the vinegar out and replace it with more lime juice.