Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Goal Weight in '08

Day 1
Today I had a good day, great food and an awesome workout and just a little bit of temptation. :-)

For as much of January as I have topics for, I am going to focus on things that motivate me. Today's motivation point is clothes... I know it's shallow but it's one of the things that has motivated me all along and is something that continues to do so.

In 2003 or 2004 (I'm sorry I can't remember), when a good friend got engaged and asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding, I tried to lose weight and was sort of successful because I knew that I'd be the biggest bridesmaid but I didn't want to feel totally horrible about it - fitting into that bridesmaids dress was a big motivational factor for me.

When I first started ETL all I could think about was being able to buy regular clothes. I couldn't comprehend what it would be like to become a runner or all of the attention I would recieve for losing the weight, but I could relate to how good it feels to buy clothes that you really like and feel great in them. It had been a long time since I had felt that way and I was eager to get that feeling back.

I've had to shop in the plus-size stores/departments since I was a young teenager, and I've always wanted to be able shop in the "normal" stores and look ok in the "normal" fashions. In some cases I can do these things now, but I am at the upper limit of being able to do so - it's surreal to go into a store and be able to pick up a blouse in the "Ladies" section and have it fit, I never think it will and I end up surprised every time. I need to reach my goal so I can shop in any store that I want to and not worry if the clothes will fit me.

Clothes motivate me because I want to stop window shopping and start actually wearing.