Sunday, July 01, 2007

first "official" training run

Yesterday hubby and I went to the triathlon/running store and I got a pair of running sneakers, I did the whole run on the treadmill while they videotape your feet thing - I was a bit nervous about that but it wasn't bad at all. I got a pair of sneakers that feel great and I'm really happy with them. Then we went to Dick's Sporting Goods and Kmart and Target in search of non-cotton socks and a wristwatch with a stopwatch in it.

So finally this morning I did my first training run; it was tough at times but overall it was great! After a warmup walk I alternated running and walking in a pyramid pattern, 1 minute running followed by 1 minute walking and then 2 minutes of each, 3 minutes, then 4 and then back down. With the warmup and cool-downs it took about 42 minutes. There were a couple of times that my body wanted to walk instead of run, but I pushed on and ran all of my running segments.

According to mapmyrun.com (thanks Ruthie!) my entire trip was about 2.7 miles. Less than another 1/2 mile and I would have had travelled 5k which is really cool when I consider the time it took and how much walking I did. :-)