Exercise: 30 min walk with Cammie, 30 min Upper Body (Y!F), 30 min treadmill
Breakfast/Lunch: (at 12) Smoothie (spinach, cherries, banana, flax, cocoa powder)
Snack: (at 5ish) orange
Exercise: 45 min walk with Cammie
Dinner: (at 8:30) Salad (romaine, falafel, cucumber, red onion, dressing), 1/2 whole wheat pita, raw brownies
Fuhrmometer: 9.5 Brocco-Kale
Just a sweet spring day :-)
Nicole’s ETL-friendly Falafel
Makes 24 Falafel
Time consuming? Maybe a little. Worth it? You bet.
6 cups cooked, drained & cooled chickpeas/ garbonzo Beans (about 1 lb dry)
1 bunch green onions
3-4 cloves garlic
¼ cup fresh parsley
6 Tbsp ground flax
½ cup wheat germ
¼ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (grind up some toasted low sodium bread or pita in the food processor)
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 – 4 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos (to taste)
¼ Cup tahini (raw and unsalted)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Water as needed (can use reserved bean cooking water)
The food processor is your best friend with these, although not 100% necessary.
1. In the food processor pulse cooled chickpeas until ground up but not pulverized (see the texture in the picture?) or if not using a food processor just mash them up. Set aside.
2. In food processor or blender make a paste with the green onions, garlic, and parsley. Set aside.
3. Add wheat germ, flax, breadcrumbs, cumin, coriander, and turmeric to chickpeas and stir to combine.
4. Add green onion, garlic, and parsley and stir to combine.
5. Stir in Braggs, tahini, and lemon juice – at this point the mixture should start to come together and be able to hold together into balls. If not, add water 1 Tbsp at a time until it does.
6. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight for flavors to come together.
7. Preheat oven to 300. Make ¼ cup patties and place on wax paper or parchment lined baking sheet (will need two sheets or two batches). Cook for 15 minutes, turn and cook for additional 15 minutes until firm.
Greek Inspired Dressing
Yeilds ~2 Cups
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup tahini
1/3 cup water
1 clove garlic
1 tsp dried dill
Any other Greek-style herbs that strike your fancy
1 Cup Chia Gel(Grind the Chia Seeds first!)
Combine all ingredients and blend well in a blender. Is even better when it’s spent the night in the fridge!
Sunday, May 06, 2007