Wednesday, September 20, 2006

anything you can do i can do better

Today's Food:

Breakfast: smoothie
Lunch: romaine with blood orange vinegar, peanut butter
Dinner: blended greens soup



Exercise: 30 min bike, 30 min treadmill

So I've spent the last 2 hours glued to the Biggest Loser on tv. Interesting and thought-provoking stuff!

I've never watched a whole episode before. Probably because it used to be a show about people who were doing something about getting fit and healthy; something that I wasn't doing. A pretty good marker of how low my self-esteem used to be, and also just how much I didn't want to face or think about my weight and what I needed to do about it.

But now, that I am committed to getting healthy... naturally I find the show fascinating. I also envy those people that get to spend their days working out instead of working and having to keep house. Wouldn't it be nice to get to live like that? No responsibilities but to yourself? With a trainer to work you out and coach you along the way... yeah... I'll bet I could lose 12 or 14 pounds in a week if I had those luxuries too!

On the flipside... I realize that I don't need a television show to get into shape. Sure the incentives and prizes sound nice, but I'm doing pretty well on my own. I think that to an extent those of us who are losing weight and exercising out "here" by ourselves have an edge over people who feel that they need a television show to lose weight. We have INTERNAL motivation; something that won't go away after a television show is over. I think we've got the edge, and we're the ones that are going to achieve our goals, maintain our weight loss, and be the true success stories.

All said, I'm rooting for that woman from Rhode Island... she's not one of the 14 in the house; but I hope she does well on her own so she can come back :-)