Saturday, July 08, 2006

day 28: quality time with my Cuisinart

Today's Food:
Breakfast: Smoothie
Dinner: Enchilada casserole

Exercise: 30 minutes walk/jog on the treadmill, 30 minutes weights & abs

Today was a day of cooking; we went grocery shopping this morning before hubby had to go to work and I spent the post-workout afternoon making homemade tomato sauce for FFV's Eggplant Lasagna and Enchilada Sauce for FFVK's Mexican Lasagna/Enchilada Casserole. Yes it was a Fat Free Vegan kind of day around here indeed!

For some reason blogger isn't letting me upload pics right now, but SusanV's pics on FFV look much better than mine anyway! The enchilada casserole is excellent; I was worried that I wouldn't like it or would find it bland without salt or cheese or sour cream that one might normally put on a mexican style dish, but my tastebuds surprised me; this is an excellent dish! I left out the olives because I don't like them, and I also didn't use salsa but I did add some extra spices (cumin and cayenne pepper) to the sauce. This is a great way to get your beans. I'm absolutely going to make this again.

The eggplant lasagna looks and smells excellent. I did cook it for longer than the recipe reccommends because I am paranoid about undercooked eggplant, and I did leave the salt out of the tofu/spinach mixture; but I'm confident that this is going to be another great dish. I'll be having it tomorrow probably. :-)

Here's what I did for my homemade sauce, it was easy and quick and came out pretty well:

ETL Friendly Homemade Tomato Sauce

8oz. Can of Salt-Free Tomato Sauce
Big Can (28oz?) Crushed Tomatoes (salt-free if possible)
As much garlic as you can stand (I used 6 or 7 cloves)
1 T Dried Parsley
1 T Dried Basil
2 t Rosemary
1/2 t Oregano

Place all of the garlic cloves in a food processor or blender and chop them unil they are fine. Place the tomatoes and spices in the food processor or blender and process until well incorporated and as smooth as you want it. Simmer over low to medium heat for 20 minutes or until the flavor is to your liking. Use in recipe.

See you in the morning with weigh-in results!